Sunday, August 11, 2013

A-Rod Suspension Day

I just happened to be in Chicago at the same time A-Rod's suspension of 211 games was announced. Coincidentally, it was also to be his first start of the season due to off-season hip surgery. Manager Joe Girardi said he was going to start against the White Sox, so I wanted to be there to witness the chorus of boos that was going to rain down upon the man.

In case you are not familiar with MLB suspensions, if A-Rod chooses to appeal the suspension, which he did, he can still play until the outcome is determined.

Once I found a $7 ticket deal on the White Sox website, I convinced Brother Peter to attend with me. The only perk of the evening was that it was White Sox Garden Gnome night for the first 10,000 fans to pass through the gates of Comiskey. Sorry, I cannot/will not refer to it by it's corporately sponsored name. It just doesn't feel right off the tongue. Ergo, Comiskey it is. That's probably still sacrilege, but it's better in my mind and that, friends, is all that really matters.
Only the weather could keep me from A-Rod
When we got there, it was drizzling a bit and we got in a line of about 2,000 folks for the gnome. Then it started to come down hard enough that I would forgo the gnome just to get under cover. Brother Peter asked an usher if there was another gate that might not be as crowded. He sent us to Gate 5, where instead of 2,000 gnome-awaiting fans, there were about 40 in line. Sweet. A gnome and impending dryness. What could be better? Oh, yeah...the A-Rod sighting...

See the photos from A-Rod Suspension Day HERE.

No comments: